Tuesday 11 February 2014

Perennial Dress


I've had the Sew Pony Perennial Dress pattern up my sleeve for a while now. It's nostalgic and pretty and just what my girls are drawn to.

The Heather Ross Briar Rose frog print fabric made me buy it before I  had a project in mind. But, for once, instead of going for just a metre, I decided to do the sensible thing and get two so I actually have a decent amount to do something with.  I toyed with the idea of making the girls matching dresses - for about 1 minute. I know they would love it, but I can't bring myself to go down that route, so Freya got the Perennual frog print dress, and Esther will get something else froggy but not samey later.


One word that makes me less than 100% happy: shirring... Oh little stretchy thread of elastic, why won't you be my friend?

We got there in the end, via a lot of tugging and a not so pretty wrong-side, but I just can't work out why it never quite goes to plan. All of the sewing people in the world of You Tube and blogland make shirring look so easy. I know it's easy, but, like my scones and yorkshire puddings, it never quite works for me. sigh.

 

There's a lot going on here - swimming frogs, gingham, pockets, mini pom pom trim, covered buttons, even (shudder) shirring. But I like to embrace the busy look! I guess, much as I love minimal, I'm just no good at it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails